VO2 Max Testing
VO2 Max Testing in Somerville, MA and Brookline, MA
Get the Most Out of Your Workout
Decrease Fatigue and Injury
How Is A VO2 Test Performed? (It’s as easy as 1-2-3!)
- Put on a heart rate strap and face mask. The mask is connected to the CardioCoach device.
- Begin to exercise on a treadmill or cycle. Your doctor of physical therapy will instruct you to gradually increase your intensity over a period of 6 to 20 minutes.
- The CardioCoach will indicate when the test is completed. You can cool down while your Target Intensity Zones are calculated and printed in a simple, insightful report and then interpreted by your doctor of physical therapy.
Metabolic Testing - Resting Metabolic Rate
Why Test your Metabolic Rate?
We use KORR Metabolic Analyzers which utilize the same technology as ICU metabolic testing. Because every calorie a person consumes requires a fixed amount of oxygen to be converted to energy, the KORR Analyzer measures the oxygen you consume to calculate calories burned. All of the air exhaled by the patient must be collected to measure oxygen consumption. Two one-way valves in the KORR MetaBreather ensure that only fresh air is inhaled and all exhaled gas passes through the hose and into the machine. A nose-clip ensures that all exhaled air is analyzed.
What is a Resting Metabolic Rate (RMR) Test?
Preparing for the Test
- You should avoid eating 4 hours before the test.
- Avoid exercising prior to your test.
- If possible, avoid the use of stimulants such as caffeine.
During the Test
- Relax and close your eyes during the test.
- Keep lips sealed lightly around the MetaBreather. It is important that all the air you breathe out is analyzed.
- In just 10 minutes, your metabolic rate will be measured!